Buckles Solicitors LLP has hit the ground running in the early months of 2021 with several significant appointments and promotions across a range of legal departments. Among the new recruits,...
Procurement is the process needed to obtain a desired outcome. It can fall broadly into 3 phases:
- Identifying the required outcome, e.g. the business need for larger office premises
- Identifying the site, e.g. acquisition of a new site or the extension of existing premises
- Identifying the operational requirements, e.g. functionality, space and people
- Identifying the delivery team e.g. designers and contractors
- Identifying how the delivery team is to be appointed and how proposals are to be evaluated, e.g. do statutory procurement rules apply?
- Identifying the source of funding and what security will need to be provided
- Checking progress
- Checking that the design and construction works are in accordance with the client’s requirements
- Managing payments
- Managing variations
- Managing “problems”
- Assessing whether the works have achieved “practical completion”
- Rectifying defects
- Putting the asset into use
All of the above are part of the procurement “process”; it commences at inception and is not concluded until the asset is in use. It therefore covers design, construction and risk management throughout the project and is highly dependent on the relationships between the various stakeholders and suppliers.
The choice of procurement route is largely influenced by the 3 cornerstones of construction:
TIME, COST & QUALITY
There are other influencing factors such as:
- The nature and complexity of the project
- Risks – both known and unknown – and how they are to be allocated and managed
- The experience and expertise of the contractor and the design consultants
With a wealth of experience of working with commercial occupiers, developers, funders, contractors and professional consultants on a variety of development projects, Buckles’ Construction and Engineering Team can guide you through the maze of considerations and put you on the track to success.