Change of name

Changing your name is a fairly straightforward process, through obtaining a change of name deed. This document can also be used to change your first name and preferably needs to be witnessed by a lawyer when signing.

The Deed may prove to be a useful document when seeking to change your name where it appears on official documents, such as a passport or driving licence.

There are two types of Deed – unenrolled and enrolled. Your choice of Deed should be based on the requirements of any relevant organisations, such as the Passport Office.

If you are aged 16 or over, you can change your name yourself by making an unenrolled Deed. There is specific wording required in an unenrolled deed poll which can be found here.

If you are aged 18 or over, you can apply for an enrolled deed poll which places your new name on public record. Applications should be made to the Royal Courts of Justice at a cost of £36.