Challenging care homes fees and LA assessments

If you require care services, it’s important to establish whether you are eligible for financial help from your local authority. This will be determined by a means test.

Local authorities will have their own criteria for determining an individual’s eligibility for care services. However, they have a duty to meet eligible care needs and they must abide by the guidelines provided by the government.

If you wish to challenge a local authority assessment for your care service requirement, you can request a reassessment if you believe your circumstances have changed.

The first step in challenging a decision is to contact the care manager to seek a resolution. If this fails, then a you can register a formal complaint with the relevant local authority. If this still doesn’t achieve your desired outcome, you may wish to consider seeking an independent review.

We can assist with disputes over assets to be taken into account and fees to be paid for care.