The Construction & Engineering Team offers expert advice on procurement solutions and construction dispute resolution to clients in the private and public sector. Our clients range from developers (including housing associations) to building contractors, specialist sub-contractors, education establishments, commercial occupiers, and funders.
Whether you are involved in residential, commercial or industrial development, the installation of plant or machinery, refurbishment, or any other construction operations, let us become part of your team advising on construction and engineering issues:
- A seamless service in conjunction with our property team for our developer clients driving the project forward from acquisition, through the construction phase to disposal
- Getting the professional team in place to ensure buildability and allocation of design responsibility
- Assisting with early building contractor involvement
- Preparing or reviewing construction documents for inclusion in tender packs or for negotiation – whether design & build, traditional, or partnering using standard industry forms or bespoke contracts for your particular project
- Ensuring adequate security is in place whether by way of guarantees, bonds, or collateral warranties
- Ongoing advice on contract interpretation and implementation
Take advantage of our Project Briefing and Project Planning service which highlights any potential problems (and solutions) and allows for cost budgeting. We can also offer fixed menu pricing for certain construction and development documents for appropriate developments.
As part of the “construction team” we work with our clients to reduce or avoid the risk of disputes as far as possible. Where disputes or differences do arise, we manage them carefully. We prepare a Case Report which sets out our advice on the available options taking into account the value of the dispute and its complexity. We provide strategic focus and a recommended course of action taking into account any commercial factors which may influence your aims and objectives.
Our costs estimating spreadsheet also provides an accurate estimate of costs for each stage of the dispute process (based on our key assumptions), which allows forward budget planning and tactical decision making.
Disputes or differences can arise over myriad of issues such as payment, defective design, materials or workmanship, delay and disruption, variations, contract interpretation, whilst the primary objective is to complete the project on time and on budget.
That is why our construction lawyers ensure that they choose the most appropriate dispute resolution procedure, particularly where commercial relationships must be maintained. These procedures include:
- Court proceedings in the TCC
- Early neutral evaluation
- Expert determination
- Pre-Action Protocol for construction & engineering disputes