Employment Tribunals (Unfair Dismissal) Pricing
Depending on the complexity of the matter, our costs for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal claims are tiered as follows:
- Low complexity: £4,500 to £8,500 ex VAT
- Medium complexity: £7,500 to £14,500 ex VAT
- High complexity: £13,500 to £18,500 ex VAT
The pricing is based on complexity and experience level of the solicitor working on your case. Hourly rates are detailed below:
- Partner: £300 - £350 + VAT
- Associate: £250 - £300 + VAT
- Senior Solicitor: £200 - £250 + VAT
- Solicitor: £150 - £200 + VAT
- Trainee Solicitor: £100 - £150 + VAT
You may have funding options available, such as insurance cover, to help cover the costs involved and we will check this for you at your first appointment with us.
The complexity involved will be determined by a number of factors:
- Are there other claims being brought with your unfair/wrongful dismissal claim, such as discrimination?
- Is it necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim?
- Do the claims have to be defended in person?
- Does a costs application have to be made or defended?
- Are there any complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- How many witnesses, issues and documents are involved?
- Is it an automatic unfair dismissal claim? e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer or if there are issues relating to TUPE (on the transfer of a business).
- Are there allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal?
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of between £850 and £1,500 per day (excluding VAT), depending on the seniority of the lawyer.
Generally, we would allow 1-3 days depending on the complexity of your case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel's fees estimated between £850 to £1,500 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
The fees set out above cover all work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Preparing claim form or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim form or response from other party
- Exploring and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a Schedule of Loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party's witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including Instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication of the full process involved. If some are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only request our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged according to your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The length of time from us taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take between two and six weeks. If your claim requires a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take at least six months. This is just an estimate and we provide a more accurate timescale once we know which Tribunal is handling your claim and get a clearer picture of your case.
Our team includes: