What is the Non-Lucrative Residence Visa and can I apply?

  • Posted

The Non-Lucrative Residence Visa can be applied for by British or non-EU citizens (nationals of third countries) who wish to reside in Spain without carrying out any work or professional activity, including mobile work.

Since 1 January 2021, British citizens who want to live in Spain can benefit from the Non-Lucrative Residence Visa, on the conditions that they reside for periods longer than six months and do not carry out any work or professional activity in Spain.


In order to qualify for a Non-Lucrative Residence Visa, you must be:

  • A UK citizen who is retiring and wants to live in Spain.
  • A foreign citizen with sufficient income (e.g. shareholdings, State Pension) or savings to be able to live in Spain without having to work, regardless of whether assets are located in Spain or elsewhere.
  • A spouse, ancestor, or descendant of a Non-Lucrative Residence Visa applicant. However, children can only be applied for if they are:
  • under the age of 21
  • a student, or
  • dependent on their parents as proved by documentation.


A Non-Lucrative Residence Visa in Spain must be presented personally by recipients at the Spanish Consulate of Spain in the UK. Depending on where you live in the UK, you will be assigned to a consulate district: London, Manchester, or Edinburgh.

The process is usually completed within one month.

How we can help

We will help and advise you during every step of the legal process, from completing the application form to obtaining the Non-Lucrative Residence Visa from the Spanish Consulate.

We will take care of all paperwork and translations of official documents by sworn translators authorized by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign affairs (MAEC)

We will also complete the legalisation of the official documents with the Hague Apostille.

For more information, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our team.